by Carole Brown
“A year from now, you’ll wish you had started today.”
How do I get started with marketing? It’s so scary! And I’m a loner!
So am I. You must take yourself by the “bootstraps” or “shirt collar” and move ahead. Truly.
Venturing out into an unknown world is scary for many of us. We’d rather lurk in our self-imposed writing “hut” than to meet and greet those in the BIG world of marketing. But it can be done. Here are a couple encouraging ideas to help you get started:
- Take small steps. Ask friends, family and close associates for help. Whether helping you prepare a few memes or doing a small free promotion on their website, it will get you moving. Think small, think easy, think friendly. And one step…at…a…time.
- Allow yourself time. Don’t try to take it all in at once. Begin small, read and re-read the online marketing place that caught your eye. Pour over all their material. And if it sounds viable, take a breath and go for it. What’s the worse that can happen? They say no? Reject your request? Accept? Either way, you’ve made a start, and each step helps you on your marketing journey!
Now, here are a few suggestions on marketing for this month:
- Check out marketing gurus who offer freebies and/or heavily discounted programs.
- Book Heaven is growing and seems to be a great source of promotion.
- Offer to write articles for magazines and blog sites. I’m not sure how many sales you’ll obtain, but your name will be in front of multiple eyes. Don’t discount this avenue.
- Don’t overlook your own personal space, and by that, I mean your hometown/state. Get acquainted with writing groups in your area, check to see what marketing festivals and smaller writing conferences are available. Snag a spot if possible. Put each group in a folder and keep track of when and where events are happening. Libraries, small hometown bookstores, specialty groups that you may have a hand-in by including something of interest in your books. All of these are important.
That’s it for this month. Don’t despise the small. Whatever works for you, use it!
Have a great month!