by Carole Brown
Although I still love Autumn, Spring has made hardy leaps and bounds pushing to be my favorite season. This year has been particularly pleasant. Here are a few of my thoughts about the season:
- Warmer weather. What can I say? Although I use to love winter activities, I’ve moved on and prefer warmer weather ones. The cold is definitely at the bottom of my list!
- The joy I feel. Yes, that’s right. The winter is past, and a new beginning is taking place. I enjoy that feeling of renewal starting right around Easter and progressing till the middle of June. Time to let go of the hardship of winter (trials, discouragements, etc.) and move on. Take a brighter look around.
- The leafing of trees. Believe it or not, I kept an eye on the trees and watched as they regained life. Leafy trees are a reminder of childhood times spent climbing them and playing imaginary games. Leafy trees remind me of the summers reclining beneath them as a teenager and dreaming teen dreams.
- Release from the indoors. Of course, I go outdoors during winter, but now–during spring–doors and windows are open. The outdoors and indoors meet in a joined effort to give me a enduring satisfaction that life is good.
- Gardening! Not that I love the work so much, but I love to see the completed jobs, love the few veggies we grow, love seeing hubby and grandson Jonathan picking the produce, and love the sense of doing a good work.
- It’s the time of Picking-the-wildflowers. Is there anything sweeter than seeing a grandson running up to you with a bouquet of dandelions (stems almost too short to stick in a vase or other container)? Or to accept a bouquet of pink apple blossoms or black-eyed Susans from hubby? I think not!
- The scents and sights. Is there any better sensation than the sweet, pleasant scent of a rose? The strong, heady scent of lilacs, hyacinths, or lilies? Is there anything lovelier than seeing the lilies of the Valley blooming beneath a pink dogwood tree or the shy purple violets peeking from beneath bolder foliage? What could be cuter than those precious pansy faces?
- Repurposing, planning, and projects. It’s the time to change things around. Take that old wood table you don’t want anymore and redo it to make a perfect garden work table to repot flowers, etc. Plan a new garden. Begin new projects you’ve dreamed of all winter. Now’s the time!
- The-Firing-of-the-Grill time! Isn’t the first time you do this fantastically fun? All winter the grill has stayed covered or spent its days in a secluded area. Now it’s time for it to shine, to do what it was created for! Look out corn on the cob! Drooling for those chicken breasts, steaks and, the all time favorites: burgers and hotdogs! Yay!
- Finally, it’s time for vacations. Plan, if you haven’t already. Begin the buying for the necessities, prep the vehicle or buy your tickets. Summer prospects are ahead, and the spring anticipation is as much a part of the fun as experiencing it!
There you have it. Ten of my favorite items. I could add holiday celebrations (Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day) with family and friends, old-fashion ministry experiences like camp meetings or church camps or mission trips, camping, shared sporting activities: boating, fishing, water skiing, etc., but these are all a given.
Whatever your favorites are for this season, stay relaxed, keep the peace within yourself, and enjoy. Thank God for Spring for God gives us all of the seasons to enjoy, and I really don’t think he minds which one is our favorite.
What’s your favorite thing about Spring?