Here are the survey results for Word Sharpeners Blog.
Information about My Readers
Gender: 92.86% of the respondents were women. I only had two choices, so the rest were men.
Age: Almost half of my readers are between the ages of 50 to 59. The largest portion of readership is over the age of 50.
- 50-59 – 42.86%
- 60 or older – 35.71%
- 17 or Younger – 7.14%
- 18-29 – 7.14%
- 40-49 – 7.14%
- Nobody 18-20 or 30-39 responded
Marriage Status: 71.43% of my readership is married. The rest are single or widowed. Nobody who was divorced or separated filled out the survey.
Religious Affiliation: I allowed more than one answer to this question.
- Christians who go to church regularly – 74.14%
- Strongly committed Christians – 35.71%
- Christians who don’t go to church – 28.57%
- Pentecostal – 28.57%
- Mainline Protestant – 14.29%
We also had one evangelical, one person who answered non-denominational, and one person who described himself as a Spirit-filled servant of Jesus. No non-Christians filled out the survey.
What do you like to read: I allowed more than one answer to this question. Since I write historical fiction, I wasn’t surprised to find historical was one of the genres that received the most votes.
- Historicals – 64.29%
- Mysteries – 64.29%
- Drama/Suspense – 57.14%
- Romance – 42.86%
- Action/Thrillers – 42.86%
- Women’s Fiction – 35.71%
- Non-fiction – 35.71%
- Speculative/Fantasy/Sci-fi – 28.57%
- Any Christian Fiction – 21.43%
One person answered only Christian specific, and another person answered some Christian fiction depending on the genre. Nobody said “I only read the Bible.” That makes sense because if they only read the Bible, they wouldn’t read my blog.
What kind of movies do you like to watch: My favorites are old classics, but I do enjoy most of these genres. I also pleased with a higher quality of Christian movies being made lately. I allowed more than one answer to this question.
- Comedy – 71.43%
- Christian – 64.29%
- Old Classics – 57.14%
- Romance – 57.14%
- Action/Adventure – 57.14%
- Drama – 57.14%
- Science Fiction – 28.57%
- Thriller – 28.57%
- Documentary – 21.43%
- Horror – 14.29%
Hobbies: I allowed more than one answer to this survey. I will take these answers into consideration when I post articles about hobbies. Everyone who answered said they enjoy reading.
- Reading – 100%
- Gardening – 42.86%
- Crafts – 42.86%
- Cooking – 42.86%
- Classic Movies – 35.71%
- Travel – 28.57%
- Holidays – 28.57%
- Decorating – 21.43%
- Photography – 21.43%
- Shopping and Music each received 1 response
Word Sharpeners Blog Posts
Now on to Word Sharpeners blogs posts and which kind of posts you like the best. I am taking into consideration, not only the answers on the survey, but also the stats of which posts generate the most traffic. I will try to have a variety of posts that my readers enjoy.
Posts you like the best: I allowed more than one answer to this question.
- Writing Tips – 78.57%
- This Week in History – 64.29%
- Guest Posts from Authors – 50% (I found this odd since the guest posts have not had good stats in the past. It is a mixed bag with some authors generating more response than others.)
- Book Reviews – 42.86%
- Devotions – 42.86%
- Posts about Getting Organized – 42.86%
- Events in History – 35.71%
- Events in Church History – 35.71%
- Events in American History – 28.57%
- Word Sharpener Weekly – 28.57%
- Lists and More Lists – 21.43% (This surprised me since my lists always generate good stats. Maybe it depends on the list.)
- Movie Reviews – 21.43%
- Top 10 Movies/TV/Books – 21.43%
- Life Sharpeners – 14.29%
- Hobbies – 14.29%
- Travel – 14.2%
- Health Tips – Only 1 person was interested in this.
In view of this, I plan more writing tip posts even though I don’t want to turn this into a writing blog. I’ll also include more book reviews, devotions, posts about getting organized, and history posts (especially about church history). Don’t expect any health tips any time soon.
Word Sharpeners Weekly Posts You Like: I was interested in the answers to this because I want something fun where I can share tidbits about my writing and life, but I felt these posts might have included too much and became too long. Apparently my readers agreed.
- Verse of the Week – 58.3%
- News about Tamera Lynn Kraft’s books – 50%
- Quote of the Week – 50%
- Life Sharpener Tip – 50%
- News about Tamera Lynn Kraft’s Life – 33.3%
- Holidays of the Week – 33.3%
- Hymn of the Week – 16.67%
- Song of the Week – 16.67%
- Video of the Week – 16.67%
16.67% thought Word Sharpers Weekly would be better broken up on my Facebook page, and 8.3% felt it was too long. One person liked the menu where she could pick and choose what she wanted to read. Another reader rarely found anything helpful.
What you don’t like about Word Sharpener Weekly: Most of those taking this poll did not answer this question. Percentages are from people who did answer.
- Holidays of the Week – 50%
- Video of the Week – 25%
- Life Sharpening Tips – 25%
- Quote of the Week – 25%
Word Sharpener Weekly Conclusions: I’ve decided in light of the survey and my own observations that Word Sharpener Weekly is too long. I will still keep the menu format so you can read what you want and forget the rest. I’ll start it again next week. It will consist of the following in order:
- Word Sharpener News about my books and life
- Quote of the Week
- Verse of the Week
- Life Sharpening Tip (I won’t always include this)
I will continue to post hymns and songs I enjoy on my Facebook author page at this link. I am also considering having a separate post for holidays of the week.
For those of you who filled out the survey, thank you. So what do you think of the results. If there is anything you’d like to add, leave a comment.