Today is Global Holocaust Remembrance Day. There have been many holocausts throughout history. One of the worst was the Nazi’s attempted extermination of the Jews. It is estimated that 6 million Jews died in Nazi Concentration Camps.
We think of this kind of evil as something that happened in the past, but today, anti-Semitism is as prevalent as it was in the 1930s, and every day, Christians, sometimes even Christian children, are being tortured and murdered in inhuman ways for their faith. The persecution of Christian has become a new holocaust in the Middle East.
Here are 10 quotes that are as true today as they were when they were first said.
10. “I swore never to be silent whenever and wherever human beings endure suffering and humiliation. We must take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.” Elie Wiesel
9. “Jews survived all the defeats, expulsions, persecutions and pogroms, the centuries in which they were regarded as a pariah people, even the Holocaust itself, because they never gave up the faith that one day they would be free to live as Jews without fear.” Jonathan Sacks
8. “It is deeply shocking and incomprehensible to me that despite volumes of documentation and living witnesses who can attest to the horrors of the Holocaust, there are still those who would deny it. ” Mark Udell
7. “Perhaps the gravest under-publicized atrocity in the world is the persecution of Christians.” Conrad Black
6. “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke
5. “In a time of universal deceit – telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” George Orwell
4. “First they came for the Communists, but I was not a Communist so I did not speak out. Then they came for the Socialists and the Trade Unionists, but I was neither, so I did not speak out. Then they came for the Jews, but I was not a Jew so I did not speak out. And when they came for me, there was no one left to speak out for me.” Dietrich Bonhoeffer
3. “He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it.” Martin Luther King Jr.
2. “Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.” Dietrich Bonhoeffer
1. “The blood of the martyrs is the seed of the church.” Tertullian