Every Trekie has their favorite Star Trek Series. I’m no exeption.
6. Star Trek: The Animated Series (1973-1974)
Voices of William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, DeForest Kelley, James Doohan, Nichelle Nichols, George Takei, Majel Barrett
This is my least favorite although it did win Star Trek it’s first Emmy. In my opinion, Star Trek was never meant to be animated.
5. Enterprize (2001-2005)Captain Jonathan Archer – Scott Bakula T’Pol – Jolene Blalock Charles Tripp Tucker III – Conner Trinneer Malcolm Reed – Dominic Keating
I never was able to get into this series and finally stopped trying. It just didn’t work for me.
4. Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (1993-1999)Captain Benjamin Sisco – Avery Brooks Kira Nerys – Nana Visitor Odo – Rene Auberjonois Julian Bishar – Alexander Siddig
Deep Space Nine was the first Star Trek to have a black captain. The premise was having a Star Trek Station that stayed on one planet. Without the exploration, it lost some of the adventure. It substituted by added politics and religion of the planet where they were stationed. In my opinion, Star Trek doesn’t work without the exploration.
3. Star Trek: The Next Generation (1987-1994)Captain Jean-Luc Piccard – Patrick Stewart Commander William Riker – Jonathan Frikes Geordi LaForge – Lavar Burton Tasha Yar – Deniese Crosby Worf – Michael Dorn Dr. Beverly Crusher – Gates McFadden Deanna Troi – Marena Sirtis Data – Brent Spiner Wesley Crusher – Will Wheaton
I loved this version of Star Trek. It didn’t try to copy the original. Instead it came up with characters who reacted differently and fit the generation of the 80s. At the same time, the adventure and relationships that made Star Trek great were explored in a new way. I loved Picard and Riker.
2. Star Trek: Voyager (1995-2001)Captain Kathryn Janeway – Kate Mulgrew Chakatay – Robert Beltran B’Elanna Torres – Roxann Dawson Tom Paris – Robert Duncan McNeil Neelix – Ethan Phillips The Doctor – Robert Picardo Tuvoc – Tim Russ Harry Kim – Garrett Wang
Voyager is my second favorite Star Trek series. The premise is to have their space ship hopelessly lost and trying to find its way home. This Star Trek had the first woman captain. The best thing about Captain Janeway was she led the ship in the same style a woman would lead. This was at a time where too many shows on TV had women leading like men. It was a refreshing change. I also loved the character, Tom Paris, who through this difficult situation had a chance to redeem himself from a lurid past and grow into a person of integrity.
1. Star Trek: The Original Series (1966-1969)Captain James T. Kirk – William Shatner Mr. Spock – Leonard Nimoy Dr. McCoy (Bones) – DeForrest Kelley Uhura – Nichelle Nichols Scott – James Doohan Sulu – George Takei Chekov – Walter Koenig
To this day, this is my favorite. I remember watching it with my family as a little girl. Not only did it take on issues of the day in a futuristic way, but the relationships between Captain Kirk, Spock, and Bones made the show great. Captain Kirk was the original captain who explored where no man has gone before in the same vein as adventurers and cowboys or the past. Nobody will ever take his place.
So leave a comment and let me know if you agree. Which are your favorites?