I hear this question from time to time among my writing friends. One size doesn’t fit all and what works for me may not work for you. I do have a literary agent – Linda Glaz from Hartline Agency. I’m thrilled she agreed to become my agent.
Here are five reasons I wanted an agent:
- Agents can submit your novels to large publishing houses that won’t accept author submissions.
- I still have a lot to learn about the publishing process, and my agent is my ally in that process.
- My agent has client groups where I can network with other authors when it comes to marketing and other things I need to know.
- Agents typically get a better deal from publishers than lone authors do.
- A good agent lends credibility to my work showing it’s publishable material.
That’s my list. Do you have other reasons you are seeking an agent? Or maybe you have reason not to seek an agent. Either way, leave a comment and share them.